Wednesday 23 November 2011

WIP Wednesday No. 12

I'm having a re-jig of my WIPs because I realised that I've been scaring myself by listing projects that I haven't even started. They non-starters are going in their own separate section so hopefully I will be less overwhelmed and more able to get something done.

Quilt for mum
A brand new range of fabrics, Melrose by Red Rooster Fabrics, came into the shop where I work and they would look just perfect in our living room. I quickly snapped some up with the aim of making a throw sized quilt for one of the sofas.


Our living room was predominately beige and mum decided to inject some colour into it by buying a dark plum sofa. Needless to say it now sticks out like a sore thumb so I'm hoping to calm it down a bit with a throw.

I decided on the Hidden Wells pattern I used with Rouenneries fabric previously. Its quick, effective and makes use of the contrasting fabrics quite well. I've sliced and sewed and sliced again and it's well on its way.


This picture shows the balance of fabrics in the top, although these blocks have been re-sliced now. Fingers crossed mum will be coming out of the hospital next week and I'm determined to have this quilt done by then.

Hexalong
I didn't complete any hexagons this week but I slowly basted all my spotty fabrics, a couple at a time in front of the TV.



I can now see which odd colour combinations I'm going to deal with first. I think the brown and magenta at the bottom and the maroon and green at the top right are top of the list to match up with solids.

Other projects
  • Strawberry Patch - Echo quilted 3 blocks, not much but at least it's progress
  • Neutral jelly roll bear paws - Still waiting to be quilted
  • Shabby Wedding Rings - No progress

Plan for the week
  • Finish off mum's Melrose quilt
  • Piece 8 wedding ring curvy bits
  • Complete at least one hexagon
I think that should be manageable - baby steps. Check in next week to see if I made it.


Why not pop over to Freshly pieced to see what everyone else is up to this Wednesday. 

4 comments:

  1. That quilt for your mum is going to be lovely! Can't wait to see your hexies. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just popped in to see what you have been up to lately! I love the polka dot hexies!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think your projects look like a lot of fun. Those hexies are so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that fabric is going to be perfect to harmonise the beige with the sofa. I think those colours create a very sophisticated look :)

    ReplyDelete